Friday, May 2, 2008

White Red White Silver


WRWS 07-22-2008 Backyard

The crow banded WRWS sat on the power line outside of my living room window and cawed until i came out to feed it peanuts.. Once I was outside I put a few peanuts in the feeder and on the surrounding tree limbs, but WRWS continued to caw at me and fly back and forth over me swooping down a couple of times. it was unusual behavior for the situation and seemed more like it was trying to tell me something than to chase me away or anything. When I finally put several peanuts on the ground on the dirt road where they usually take them to eat them WRWS stopped squawking and landed only a few feet from me and picked up a nut maybe two then flew off. I guess that is what she was trying to get me to do - put the food on her plate instead of making her server herself! Maybe she feels safer just taking the nuts from the road where she has a good view of her surroundings. She was definitely not afraid of me or trying to get me to leave - I was easily 5x farther from where I originally put the nuts than from where she finally chose to come get them.(as soon as I put out the nuts i had backed off from the feeder and tree)

I will continue to add pics of WRWS to this post

Today reminded me that I have not seen RWWS in a very long time. There are many other crows I have not seen all summer, but RWWS was injured and used to frequently be seen with WRWS.


05-14-08 Backyard or Tsunami Row


05-14-08 Backyard






No comments: