Sunday, May 4, 2008

Crow Clicking


04-10-08 South SWP


Friday around 4:30 pm in the "Wooded Campground" across Ballaine from the "Crow Banding" parking lot I saw two crows mating - a first for me. What was interesting was that they were making this clicking noise I have recorded other crows making on several occasions. A little while later WhiteBlueWhiteSilver made the same or similar clicking noise while eating on the ground right next to me. I have heard the clicking calls paired with a sort of humming or cooing sound and at first thought it was pleasant conversation between bonded birds. Then I noted crows making the sounds while puffing up as if posturing so I thought it was a territorial warning or something. Now I do not know what to think! I guess it may mean different things depending on the context and what other sounds it is paired with. Still, I am curious. I wish I spoke Crow



This second clip of Banded Crow BWWS was taken 04-02-08 in the North SWaterfrontPark


"Crow Cam Captures Creative Behavior in the Wild" article here . The cam is attached to the crow. I want to see the video footage! A behavioral study found that Northwestern Crows are nicer to relatives than others when attempting to steal food from them. Some humor there. I have certainly observed a good deal of thievery although I try to always offer enough food for each crow to have something.

No comments: